Nipissing means "at the little water or lake", referring to Lake Nipissing, in Ontario. The Nipissing are an Algonkin tribe. When they first became known to the French, in 1613, they were resideing in the vicinity of Lake Nipissing, Ontario. They were attached in 1650 by the Iroquois. Many of the tribe were slain. The remaining members fled for safety to Lake Nipigon where Allouez visited them in 1667; but they were back on Lake Nipissing in 1671. A part of the tribe went to Trois-Rivières, Québec and some resided with the Catholic Iroquois at Oka where there still was a village in 1905. Some these assisted the French in 1756. They were a comparatively unwarlike people, firm friends of the French, and readily accepting the Christian teachings of the missionaries. Although having a fixed home, they were semi-nomatic, going south in autumn to the vicinity of the Hurons to fish and prepare food for the winter. They cultivated the soil to a slight extent only, traded wit the Cree in the north and were much given to jugglery and shamanistic practices, on which account the Hurons and the whites called them Sorcerers. Their chiefs were elective, and their totems were the heron, beaver, birchbark, squirrel and blood. (1)
Use the BACK BUTTON on your Browser to return to the Previous Page
Or, the Link below to return to
D296 Etienne Mag8ch
Marriage Certificate 89307
(1) Handbook of Indians of Canada, page 349.