First Canadian Ancestors
(The individuals listed below are from the "Ancestors of Jean-Guy Coté" Database)
Philippe Amyot 
Philippe Amyot arrived in Canada in the summer of 1635 from Soissons. He was accompanied by his wife, Anne Convent, and two sons, Jean and Mathieu.
On August 26 1636, he baptised another son, Charles at Québec.
Four years after his arrival in New France, Philippe Amyot died. However, through his sons, Mathieu and Charles, he established a long line of descendants which today number in the thousands.
Mathieu Amyot was a decisive and entrepreneurial man. He was granted land concessions at Trois Rivières, Sillerie, and neat Québec. From the last concession he took the name Villeneuve since it was situated near pointe Villeneuve.
With that pace, it is no wonder that he became one of the notable settlers in the colony.
The intendant, Jean Talon, sought to obtain a title for him from the king. These were granted by Louis XIV in 1668, but unfortunately Mathieu Amyot failed to have them registered with the sovereign council of New France and they became worthless. Although he was titled, he never became a Noble. He died December 18, 1688.
His brother, Charles, who was ten years younger, started to travel with the missionaries at 14.
Aside from being a merchant living in the lower town (of Québec), he received many land grants. The importance of the role he played in Québec placed him among the most noted of the time.
Unfortunately, Charles Amyot died at an early are on December 10 1669 only nine years after his marriage.
Mathieu Amyot 
Alias Villeneuve, lay, interpreter, Seigneur. Received a grant of land from Governor Louis D'Ailleboust at Three-Rivers in 1649 and in 1661 received a grant at Sillery from the Jesuites. September 6, 1669 he received from Jean Juchereau de Maur a property on Pointe Villeneuve. In 1685, he received a fief and Seigneurie from Jean Talon at Pointe aux Bouleaux. He received letters of patent (nobility) from the King in 1669 but these were nulled in 1669 because they had not been registered.
Jacques Baudoin 
He was among the first to fish along the coast of Gaspé. Many documents tell us that, during the fall and winter, our first ancestors of the Québec went down the Saint Lawrence to Sainte-Anne-des-Monts to fish. These facts push back the time of the first commercial fishing in Canadian Gaspé. We have by such a document discovered that one of your ancestors, Jacques Baudoin participated in this fishing from 1669.
Nicolas Bélanger 
Nicolas Bélanger was a native of Saint-Thomas-de- Touques in the diocese of Lisieux in Normandy. About 1659, Nicolas Bélanger came to Canada to settle on the coast of Beauport.
On November 12 of that year, he entered into a marriage contract with Marie de Rainville, daughter of Paul and Rolline Poète. The marriage took place on January 12, 1660. The couple settled at Beauport and would pass the rest of their lives there.
The following year, he purchased, from Paul de Rainville, a farm of 1 arpent frontage near the village of Gargy. Another grant was obtained from Joseph Giffard, seigneur of Beauport, contracted the notary Vachon. The seigneur granted a farm of one arpent. From an inventory of his possessions, it seems that Nicolas Bélanger had a much larger farm in the village of Saint-Michel at Beauport. This one was four arpents of frontage.
It is interesting to note that the census of 1666 designates Nicolas Bélanger as "salt merchant". In the census of 1681, he was noted as having forty-one arpents of land which makes him one of the more prosperous settlers of Beauport.
A strange notation states that Nicolas Bélanger occasionally used the surname of "Catherine" and the first name of "Michel"; this name however does not seem to have been transmitted to his descendants.
Nicolas Bélanger and his cousin François Bélanger are the ancestors of nearly all the Bélanger families in Canada. Most descendants of Nicolas have settled around Québec although certain branches have migrated across the country.
Louis Bolduc 
Born in 1684, son of Pierre Bolduc, herbalist-grocer on St-Jacques street in the parish of St-Benoît, Paris and Gilette Pijart. Arrived in Canada in 1655 with the Carignan Regiment serving in the Grandfontaine company. Licensed, he married Elizabeth Hubert, the daughter of Claude Hubert, procurer of the Parliament of Paris and Isabelle Fontaine of St- Gervais, Paris, (Leconte contract) at Québec August 20 1668. He was appointed first procurer to the Prévoté August 31 1676. Accused of misappropriation by a merchant of Bayonne, Pierre De La Lande, stripped of his duties April 6 1681, he was stripped by the King June 4 1686. In effect, he was disgraced since he was Frontenac's right hand man. Because he was not re-instated, he returned to France where his wife had preceeded him.
Claude Bouchard 
Claude Bouchard, a tailor from Saint-Cosme-de-Vair in Maine, France, first settled on the coast of Beaupré to the east of Québec. He was nicknammed "little Claude" to distinguish him from a namesake and because of his stature.
Claude Bouchard, no doubt influenced by his father in law, Louis Gasnier, decided to take his family and settle on the new lands of Petite-Rivière. On July 26 1682, he contracted to sell his farm at Château- Richerto Jean Boucher, also of Sainte-Anne. He did not go immediately and passed 1682 and 1683 at Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré. In fact, his daughter, Marguerite was married in November 1683 at Sainte-Anne. It is only in the summer of 1684 that Claude Bouchard and his family settled on their new farm at Petite-Rivière.
Claude Bouchard lived the rest of his life at Petite- Rivière. His death certificate dated November 25 1696 shows him aged 70. His wife, Louise Garnier survided him by more than 24 years. She was buried in the Petite-Rivière cemetary on April 27, 1721.
Twelve children were born from Claude Bouchard, six boys and six girls; from these seven more, four girls and three boys survived to adulthood and married.
Marin Boucher 
The settlers that came from Perche to New France were generally hard workers and entrepreneurs. Marin Boucher was one of these.
Originally from the beautiful town of Mortagne in the Perche region of Normandy, he settled in Canada in 1634 with his second wife Périnne Malet and their children. Before he left, in 1633, he had sold his house in Mortagne to Jean Guion who too, was to emmigrate to New France.
He arrived at Québec in 1634 with a contigent of other settlers from Perche. Samuel de Champlain himself provided shelter for these new settlers in the fort of Québec. In a short time, the settlers went off to build a house for their seigneur, Robert Giffard, and then more modest ones for themselves. They proceeded then to clear the land and sow their first crops. Marin Boucher played an important role in the founding of Beauport. A mason by trade, he was understandably given key tasks in the construction projects.
Shortly, Marin Boucher and his familly settled at Rivière-Saint-Charles. Later, near the end, he returned to Beauport where in 1666 the census shows him aged 77, mason and settler. We know from elsewhere that he also owned some land on l'Ile d'Orléan.
While alive, he distributed a good share of his possessions among his numerous children. He died a good christian as noted in his death certificate:
"In the year of our Lord Jesus-Christ one thousand six hundred and seventy one March 29, died Marrin Boucher after receiving all sacraments and final rights and was buried in the cemetary of Château- Richer by M. Morel accompanied by Rev. Nouvelle and myself who was performing ministerial duties on the coast of Beaupré
F. Filion Missionnary Father"
Marin Boucher is the ancestor of most of the Boucher families and in particular those of the county of Karamouska.
Zacharie Cloutier 
On March 14 1634, he accepted an invitation from Robert Giffard, Seigneur of Beauport, and, with Jean Guyon Du Buisson, came to Canada. He received a rear fief at Beauport February 3 1637. Later, on December 20 1670, he sold La Clouterie (fief) to Nicolas Dupont de Neuville to settle at Chateau- Richer on a land grant received from Governor Jean de Lauson July 15 1652. His signature was in the shape of an axe. He is the ancestor of all Cloutier families in Canada.
Joseph Côté 
"Number 195 Joseph Côté (son of Thomas Côté). The Seminary of Québec granted him, on July 16 1749 (Boucault) land with a frontage of four arpents.
"with the same depth as that of Xavier La Voye, neighbour of said farm (196) having at the bottom the same length and direction, having an elbow turn from the southwest because of the Bissonet and Boivin farms which follow at this same depth the trout marsh (marre à la truite), joining this concession at the southwest to non-granted lands and to the other side, north west to the farm of Xavier Lavoye, at one end north east the north west arm, the other end to the south west, the non-granted lands"
This title was granted to Joseph Côté, but it was his father, Thomas Côté who, present at the contract passed in Québec, accepted for him, where comes the mention of Thomas Côté, as neighbor to father Chaumont (194). The grant of 1733 gives him forty- five arpents of depth <<as much as that of François Boivin>> (197) while the title was for fifty arpents. On February 19 1759 (La Voye) Joseph Côté , aged 23, son of Thomas Côté, contracted his marriage with Dorothée Tremblay, daughter of the late Louis Tremblay and Marie Brigitte Fortin of Petite Rivière."
Hélène Desportes 
First white child born in Canada (1620). Her mother was the sister of Abraham Martin's wife, Marguerite Langlois.
Pierre Desportes 
Probably arrived in Canada in 1614 (1619?) with Abraham Martin and their wives. We do not know what his occupation was but he could write since he signed a petition to the King in 1621 for the settlers.
Robert Drouin 
He was in Canada in 1636 and in 1641, he already had a farm near the Rivière aux Chiens (river of dogs). His marriage contract of July 27 1636, (one year after the religious ceremony) which was concluded in the house of Robert Giffard and executed by Jean Guyon du Buisson in the absence of a notary, is the oldest marriage document preserved in the original in Canada. It seems that he is the ancestor of all Drouin in the country.
Antoine Fortier 
Ship master. Antoine Fortier was born in Dieppe, son of Nöel Fortier and Marie Golle. His father was ship driller, that is, he was skilled in drilling the holes in ships in which the structures and equipment would then be fit.
Around 1633, Antoine Fortier and his father came to Canada. After a stay of a few years at Beauport, they
moved to the Island of Orleans where Noël hoped to put his mariner's skills to work. The settlers on the island were just beginning to appreciate the vast fishing potential of the St Lawrence river, which up until now had been ignored. A new Canadian industry was being born, fishing.
While his father built the boats destined for the fishermen, Antoine Fortier started to fish. His experience, and skills soon provided him with ownership of his own fishing boat and all the equipment required.
The minutes of the notary Rageot tell us that in 1667, Antoine Fortier reached agreement with other fishermen, Louis Couillard, François James, Jacques Lozier to harvest seals (loups marins) "from red island on the St-lawrence".
These seals were in demand for the oil that could be rendered. This oil was particularly clear and good and did not produce a foul smell like that of the marsouin (?). A small barrel of that oil could be sold for 50 to 55 livres (about 50 dollars). We could easily imagine, since one seal provided almost two small barrels of oil, why there was interest in that kind of profit.
On another subject, if we judge him on his marriage, Antoine Fortier must have made his fortune quite rapidly. In 1677, he married Marie-Madeleine Cadieu and through her allied himself with the the largest and richest families in New France. Many of these nobles graced him by witnessing his marriage. In brief, your ancestor has gained, through his hard work and his enterprise a very enviable situation.
Guillaume Fournier 
"Co-Seigneur of the parish of St-Charles, was born in the parish of Coullemer, department of Orne, Normandy. He died in the church of Saint Thomas 25 September 1699"
Guillaume Fournier 
The founder of your family in Canada, Guillaume Fournier was a Norman, born in the parish of Coulmer in the ancient province of Normandy. He was the son of Gilles Fournier and Noelle Gagnon.
Today, Coulmer is a small community of 200 near Touques in the department of Ornes, county of Gracé in Argentan. Canvas is manufactured there.
Guillaume Fournier arrived in Canada and immediately married on November 20 1651, Françoise Hébert, daughter of Guillaume Hébert and grand daughter of Louis Hébert, the famous first Canadian settler, who is described elsewhere in this document. By this marriage, Guillaume Fournier entered in the noble family of Guillaume Couillard, uncle and tutor to Françoise Hébert, orphaned at an early age with her older brother Joseph.
In 1672, Intendant Jean Talon granted to your ancestor as fief and seigneurie thirty arpents on the south shore of the Saint Lawrence; this fief was named "Fief St-Joseph" or "Fief Fournier". Later, his wife, your first ancestor, became co-seigneur of the parish of Saint-Charles de Bellechasse which was originally granted to Louis Hébert.
Guillaume Fournier was one of the founding settlers of the parish of Saint-Thomas de Montmagny. The first baptism entered in the registers was that of a daugther of Guillaume Fournier.
A second chapel was erected at Pointe-à-la-Caille (old name for Montmagny) on a piece of land of three arpents frontage which was part of his lands. In consideration of this donation to the church, Guillaume Fournier and his descendants have rights to one pew in that church.
Before the gift of land to build the second church and even before the first church was build, it is in Guillaume Fournier's house that the services were held when the missionnaries toured. Old documents give us a description of this house: built of squared logs, it was 22 feet in length and 18 feet in width; it had a single floor with an attic, two windows on the north side and one on the south, the entrance was on the north side.
Guillaume Fournier was very active and we find many traces in the notary minutes of that time. Let us note one which is for a sale of 14 arpents of land to Intendant Jean Talon for the sum of 6,850 livres (about 7000 dollars) (minutes of notary Romain Becquet, August 12, 1670).
In 1681, during the last census of the French regime, your ancestor is mentionned on the list of inhabitants of the seigneurie of Bellechasse. Here is the original description:
"Guillaume Fournier 60 (ans); Françoise Hébert, his wife, 46; children: Joseph 20, Jean 16, Simon 14, Pierre 12, François 11, Louis 9, Madeleine 6, Charles 4; 3 guns; 12 horned animals; 10 arpents in value"
Six other children were born forming a family of 14.
Guillaume Fournier died at Montmagny in 1699 and was buried in the church on November 25 of that year.
Of Guillaume Fournier's children, eleven founded families, six sons and five daughters. The boys settled around the paternal home near St-Thomas. Their descendants spread themselves along the south shore of the Saint Lawrence from Montmagny to the lower river to them migrate across Canada and the United States.
Elie Gaudin 
The history of Elie Gaudin and his wife Esther Ramage, couple from which you descend, is interesting and is identified with that of the beginnings of the parish of Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré.
About forty years after the founding of Québec, a hugonot family, that of Gaudin, came to settle in the seigneurie of Beaupré. Elie Gaudin and his wife, Esther Ramage converted to catholicism and, the Providence which had guided them to these shores, wanted to confirm the faith of your ancestors by providing favourable signs.
In 1662, Esther Ramage, aged 46, had sufferred for 18 months of a very painfull sickness. She was so bent by the pain that she could only get around by dragging herself with a cane. She had lost all hope of recovery when she remembered the story her husband had told her about Louis Guimont who, in his presence, was suddenly cured of a very painful kidney disease as he was laying, in devotion, three stones on the foundation of the church of Sainte- Anne which was just being built. The poor cripple then prayed to the saint and implored her to grant to her the same miracle that was given to that man. At that same instant, forgetting her cane which disappeared, she found herself on her feet standing straight up, walking with all the ability that she ever had. From that moment, your ancestor remained in perfect health.
This miracle, adds the old cripple from whom we have gleaned this story, served to confirm the faith of that family who had always lived within the reformed religion. (?)
Two years later, in 1664. the husband of Esther Ramage, Elie Gaudin, aged 50, was ill of a debillitating sickness to which the remedies brought little pain relief or cure, thought himself near dead and summoned the missionnary of Saint-Anne, who was then Father Thomas Morel to give him the last rights.
The missionnary counselled your ancestor to pray to the Virgin Mary and Sainte-Anne, and, proceeded to the church to say a mass for his intention. Upon returning to provide holy communion, Elie Gaudin, with a serene look said to him: "Sir, I am healed, please let me get up. While you were at the church, as I was praying with my beads, I gently fell asleep
and I saw two venerable ladies approach me. One held a box in her hand which she opened and showed it to me. Inside I saw a long and narrow road which led to Heaven. At this sight, I found myself filled with consollation and completely free of my ailment."
After holy communion, Elie Gaudin praised God, got up, and went to church and before he finished his novena, was in a state of health as before his sickness.
Your ancestor Elie Gaudin lived for another eight years after this miraculous cure. His body was buried in the old cemetary of Sainte-Anne January 5 1672.
Elie Gaudin had four children with Esther Ramag. Jacques Gaudin, born in 1658, consecrated his life to the seminary of Québec as a lay person and died at Saint-Joachim in 1735. With him died the name of this good and brave family. The descendants of the miraculous Gaudin-Ramage are through their daughter Anne, your ancestor.
Bernard Gontier 
Pioneer of Beaumont. Bernard Gontier was used to the city life of Paris but did not hesitate to come to Canada which only offered him vast uninhabited lands on which one would have to toil with the axe and plow.
However, the first years that your ancestor spent in Canada were much easier than anticipated. In 1666, when he had no doubt just arrived, we find him as servant to Monseigneur Laval. He was even using his skills as shoemaker. In his spare time, he also practiced as a miller. In all, his adjustment to the new land was relatively easy.
After four years of this quiet life, Gontier realized
that it would be more profitable to get established on his own land and cultivate it. He did just that but, whether our Parisian did not know the land (which was very probable) or he was unlucky, he seems to have bought and sold many farms before settling on one that he could work to his liking.
In 1676, Gontier is finally settled on a farm of his
liking. On January 26 of that year, he married Marguerite Pasquier, a young widow who brings with her three children.
During that same period, Charles Couillard, who had just received the Beaumont territory as a titled Seigneurie and fief, tried to attract settlers to help him clear and cultivate his lands. We must remember that at that time, that was the only way that a Seigneur could profit from the lands that were granted; in addition, the payments that these settlers provided (in money or kind) were practically the only revenues that a Seigneur had. It was to his advantage then to attract the largest number of settlers to his lands.
The Gontier family was interested in Charles Couillard's offer and settled on the Seigneurie of Beaumont, which, in 1681, already had fifteen families.
From 1681 to 1698, history is silent on the Gontier family. Their lives were probably linked closely to their daily chores.
In 1698, Marguerite Pasquier died. She left her husband with 7 young children "as many from François Biville and Marguerite Pasquier as from Gontier and M. Pasquier". on July 31 1698, Gontier had made himself appointed tutor to these children and on that same day, had an inventory done of his goods and that of the community property belonging him and his departed wife. He contemplated getting married again (and, with that family, it is understandable) and wanted to avoid any contesting of inheritance.
In fact, Gontier married Marie-Françoise Forgues on November 4, 1698.
He died at Beaumont on January 13, 1716.
Jean Guyon 
On March 14 1634, he signed an agreement with Robert Giffard and Zacharie Cloutier in Mortagne Perche, Normandy. Guyon settled in Beauport that same year when he received a rear fief (arrière fief)
near riviere du Buisson (river of bushes). He attached its name to his own, Guyon du Buisson. Several of his decendants have changed their name to Dion.
Louis Hébert 
Apothicary owner in France, born in France, died in Québec January 25 1627 after a fall.
First family to settle in Québec in 1617. Hébert received, in 1626, confirmation of a grant of land given to him in 1623. In his demands to the Duc of Ventadour, he states that for the advancement of the country, he had sold all his belongings in Paris, left his friends and family to start a christian colony.
The colony realized a true loss in Hébert's death, who, after Champlain, had taken the largest tasks in the establishment and advancement of New France. "He was, said Champlain, the first head of family in the country who lived on what he cultivated". (Ferland page 220).
He was solemnly buried in the Récolets cemetery in the convent of Saint-Charles. When the soil was disturbed, in later years, a cedar casket, containing his bones, was discovered. In 1678, Father Valetin LeRoux, Superior to the Récolets had them transported to the cellar of the Récolets church in the upper part of Québec. (Leclerc Vol II P128)
The Récollet lands in upper Québec was donated on May 28 1681 and the church was built in 1682.
M. Laverdière notes that Hébert's house was in the garden of the Québec Seminary. In 1866, the foundation of that house was found near the gate in the large path.
Hébert's house was the first building to be erected in upper Québec. It was situated between Ste Famille street and Couillard street. (Ferland Vol I p 190)
Among Hébert's decendants are some of the most famous families of Canada: Joliet, Delery, DeRamesay, D'Eschambault, Fournier, Monsignor Taschereau, archbishop of Québec, arch bishop Blanchet and bishop Blanchet of L'Orégan and Monsignor Taché of Rivière Rouge.
His wife, Marie Rollet married Guillaume Hubou May 16 1629.
(Extracted from Dictionnaire Tangay P301)
Guillaume Hébert 
Son of Louis Hébert. We only know that he helped the priests in their relations with the natives. He inherited half of his father's lands (near the St- Lawrence and in upper-Québec). He was only a child on his arrival in 1617 and was in his twenties when he died in 1639.
Noël Langlois 
Son of Guillaume Langlois and Jeanne Millet, of St Léonard, diocese of Sées, county of Alençon in Normandy, was married in Québec on 25 July 1634 to Françoise Garnier of France. Noël Langlois died at Beauport July 14 1684. He had ten children with his first wife and 1 with his second, Marie Crevet, widow of Robert Caron. Here is what was written on his death certificate:
"Noël Langlois, the oldest settler in the country at age 80, died the previous day in piety after having received all the Church's sacraments and having lived a model life with the approval of all the parish".
Jean-Baptiste Legendre 
Son of Jacques, of Paris, France and Geneviève- Catherine Irioto, of the borough of Contigny (2), diocese of Maine, today the community of Maine-et- Loire, France. In 1720, he married Suzanne Bourdeau (Laneuville contract April 2) daughter of Eustache and Marguerite Brousseau of Charlesbourg and St-Augustin near Québec. On September 16 1724, he purchased a farm from Michel Houde and Marie-Françoise Laroche at St- Croix-de-Lobtinière (Laneuville contract). His second marriage was November 26 1727 (Laneuville contract) to Marie-Anne Lemay, daugther of Ignace and Anne Girard, at St-Louis-de-Lobtinière. At the construction of the second church of St-Croix, just north of the current road, he was "President of gifts and collections for the Chapel of Baby Jesus", (Laneuville contract October 15 1733). Around that time, he was given the bell of the first church which was built on the shore of the St-Lawrence in 1694.
This bell, decorated with 3 fleur-de-lis, conserved by the Le Gendre family, is today stored in the parish of Sainte-Croix. Jean-Baptist Le Gendre is buried at Ste-Croix-de-Lobtinière December 7, 1749 aged "about 50 years - in the church at the request of the parishioners in recognition of the noted services rendered". (register where his name is commonly found as witness to transactions).
Marguerite Martin 
She was baptised January 4, 1624 by the Récollest Father Paul Huet. The godfather was Thierri Dedamy and the godmother Marguerite Le Sage.
Elizabeth Meusnier (Meunier) 
Her Parents marriage was the first to be celebrated in Montreal.
Pierre Miville 
Came to Canada via La Rochelle before October 28 1649. On that date, he, his sons and four others received a land grant in the Seigneurie of Lauson from Governor Louis D'Ailleboust. On July 16 1665, Mr. de Prouville de Tracy granted a concession at Grande Anse (La Pocatière) and named it "the county of the Frigourg Swiss".
Pierre Miville 
Swiss blood runs in your veins. In fact, Pierre Miville, your ancestor, was born in 1602 at Fribourg in Switzerland. Married there in 1629, he crossed over to Canada in the spring of 1649 with his wife and six children. He received a grant of land on the coast of Lauzon across from the Plaines of Abraham, today near Patton road in the parish of Saint-David- de-l'Auberivière.
In 1669, many settlers from Fribourg obtained land grants at Grande-Anse which is today Sainte-Anne- de-la-Pocatière. Your ancestor, Pierre Miville directed them in the clearing of their farms which were named "County of the Fribourg Swiss". This attempt at colonization did not last and the Swiss returned to their country, but not Pierre Miville. He stayed on the coast of Lauzon and soon became captain of the militia.
This settler, who carried the nickname "The Swiss" has left in this country numerous descendants.
Pierre Morin 
"Alias Boucher, married Marie Martin native of Acadia at Port Royal during the English occupation. In the spring of 1668, he was forced to move from that area and settled at Restigouche at the end of the baie des chaleurs (bay of heat) where he died around 1690"
Mathurin Pasquier-Lavallé 
From St-Jean de Mintaigu, Diocese of Luçon, Poitous. Soldier in the Carignan Regiment, in the company of La Mothe St Paul.
Jean Pelletier 
In 1647, your ancestor, Jean Pelletier, wanted to marry Anne Langlois, daughter of Noël Langlois and Françoise Grenier.
The three bans were published during three feast days in June and July of 1647. But when time arrived for the ceremony, someone discovered a canonical reason to stop the wedding. You see, Anne Langlois was not even 10 years old since she was born on September 2 1637. With this stoppage, the wedding had to be postponed until she was of age, which was 12 years old, and was held November 9 1649.
Let us add that this same Jean Pelletier was among the brave who, in 1690, under the direction of Father Pierre de Francheville, repulsed an invasion of Admiral Phipps' Bostonians on the shores of the Rivière-Ouelle.
Nicolas Pinel 
"He died in the hospital from a flintlock wound 23 April 1651 at seven in the evening. Nicolas Pinel and his son Gilles were attacked on their farm by two Iroquois who wanted to take them alive. Boisverdun shot at them and missed; master Nicolas and his son ran in fear towards the mountain to get away. The
Iroquois were joined by others near the house of Nopce(s) shot a musket ball through the door. The dogs howled all that night at Ste-Geneviève.
(s) that Nopce, wed by Father Buteux in October 1645 to the daughter of Picard, (Garemand le Picard) is no other than René Mazenay (see Mazenay P 428)".
Marie Rollet 
Arrived in Canada in 1617 with Louis Hébert. She concerned herself with taking care of the sick and with the education of the indian children. In 1627, she welcomed a band of indians and provided them with a feast from her big brewing pot. Her name appears many times as godmother to converted natives. She remainded at Québec after the arrival of the English and she continued to remind the indians of the good relations that they had with the French.
Pierre Rousset 
Alias Beaucourt, he exchanged his farm on the Island of Orleans for the house of Martin St Aignan in the town of Roche-Beaucourt in Pérignon.
Étienne Sevestre 
"First Civic and Criminal Lieutenant of Sénéchaussée and clerk of the One Hundred Asociates."
Charles Sevestre 
Arrived before 1637. Obtained a grant of land from the Company of 100 Associates at Québec in 1639. In 1645 he is clerk at the warehouse of the settlers' community. In 1649, he started the construction of the first church at Three-Rivers. He is mentionned as provost judge of the Lauson Seigneurie, a post which he is the first to hold. Between 1651-52, he is the church warden of the parish of Québec.
Marguerite Sevestre 
"On the 13th of March 1692 there was as seperation of a Seigueurie which was between that of Autray and de la Ventrie, belonging to Madeleine, Denise,
Marguerite Sevestre, and to Charles and Catherine Gauthier, widow of Denis Duquet, Sieur de Lachenaye. (Grigge d'Aubert)"
Noël Simard 
Noël Simard originated from Puymoyen in Angoumois, France and settled on the coast of Beaupré with his father in 1658.
Three years later, he married Marie-Madeleine Racine, daughter of a pioneer of the coast of Beaupré.
Father and son settled at Chateau-Richer, the first using his skills as mason and the later, cultivating the land. From 1667 they owned thirteen arpents of cleared land and had four cattle in their barn. Fourteen years later, at the 1681 census, these numbers had grown to thirty arpents and twenty horned animals; quite a success. That same year, Noël Simard went to settle at Baie-St-Paul with a part of his family. One of the pioneers of that area, he died in 1715.
All of the Simards in Canada are descendants of Noël Simard. That family is today one of the largest in the country. We find them almost everywhere but mainly in the counties of Charlevoix, Saguenay, Chicoutimi, Lac-St-Jean and Roberval.
Pierre Tremblay 
Pierre Tremblay, ancestor to the largest french- canadian family was originally from Randonnay, in Perche Normandy. Only head of family with that name who came from France, he is the ancestor to all Tremblay families in America.
The first indication that we find in this country is in the registers of the parish of Notre-Dame-de-Québec dated October 2 1657; it is his wedding ceremony. He married Ozanne Achon, daughter of Jean Achon and Hélène Renaude or Regourde of Puyravault in Aunis, France. He was 30 years old and she was 24.
They were married a full 10 years after the average of their peers but became founders of the largest family of all the french-canadians. Pierre Tremblay and his spouse settled on a farm on the coast of Beaupré in the area that was later to form the parish of L'Ange Gardien. Four of his sons attained adulthood and married. They were Pierre, Michel, Jacques and Louis. All four had large families: Pierre had 15 children, Michel 14, Jacques 6 and Louis 14.
Pierre, Michel and Louis settled on new lands at Baie-Saint-Paul; Jacques, one of the youngest, remained on the paternal farm which he later inherited. His descendants multiplied at L'Ange Gardien, while those of his three brothers soon scattered along the north shore and in particular at Baie-Saint-Paul and the surrounding parishes. Today, the counties of Charlevoix, Saguenay, Chicoutimi, Lac-St-Jean and Roberval are literally covered with Tremblay families.
Our calculations are that at the present time there are , in the province of Québec in particular and in all of America, not less than 9000 Tremblay families, more than 1500 live in Montreal. All of these add up to a total of about 54000 individuals named Tremblay. Quite a formidable progeny, nearly fantastic.
Jean Trudel 
The first mass celebrated at L'Ange Gardien was in the house of your ancestor Jean Trudel. A pioneer of the parish of L'Ange Gardien, Jean Trudel settled on the coast of Beaupré, near Québec, in 1655. His farm was approximately a mile and a half on the side of the Montmorency Falls. In 1911, a monument commemorating Jean Trudel was erected by his descendants on the site of his original house which still had visible foundations at that time.
At the beginning of colonization, up until the time that churches and chapels were built, services were held in a settler's home by missionnary priests. At L'Ange Gardien, these services were held in the house of Jean Trudel. This is noted in an act of 1664 whose subject was the election of marguilliers (?).
It is interesting to note that ducing the census of 1666, Jean Trudel was identified as "canvas weaver". For many generations, one of our national industries was this weaving and your ancestor Jean Trudel was one of those who contributed in its development.
Paul Vachon 
Notary public to the seigneurs and royal notary, fiscal procurer. Originally from La Copechagnière, diocese of Luçon, Poitou, Paul Vachon was born in 1630 from the marriage of Vincent Vachon and Sapience Vateau.
He arrived in New France around 1653 and in that year, married Marguerite Langlois, daughter of Noël Langlois and Françoise Grenier. He settled in Beauport to remain all his life performing his duties as notary.
The oldest contract signed by Paul Vachon is dated March 24 1658. He establishes himself in that act as "notary of the seigneurie of Notre-Dame-des-Anges". He was named to that post two years earlier by the Jesuits. In 1659, he also became notary for the seigneurie of Beauport in the area in which he lived.
On November 19 1667, François de Montmorency- Laval, bishop of Pétrée and apostolic vicar of New France granted letters of notary to Paul Vachon for the seigneuries on the Beaupré coast and l'Ile d'Orléan. On December 1st 1667, we can read in the Archives of Québec an "act of faith and hommage of Paul Vachon, fiscal procurer, appointed procurer to Mgr François de Laval, bishop of Pétrée and apostolic vicar of New France, for a part of the seigneurie of Beaupré."
In November 1667, the widow of Alleboust named Paul Vachon as notary for the seigneurie of D'Argentenay.
The study of the notary Paul Vachon is made up of about 1500 acts and contracts of which the last one is dated November 1693. This study is in the Judicial Archives of Québec. The inventory of the minutes was done in 1732 by the general procurer Verrier.
Aside from being notary, Paul Vachon also toiled the land. He obtained a grant of land on l'Ile d'Orléan from Mgr de Montmorency-Laval. Since he lived on his farm in Beauport, he let another farmer, Thomas Le Sueur, work the one on l'Ile d'Orléan. In 1667, he owned twenty arpents in value in Beauport and on l'Ile d'Orléan, his farmer reported six cattle and eight arpents in value. In 1681, fourteen years later, Paul Vachon declared to the census taker thirteen cattle and thirty six arpents of land value. He was certainly the head of a considerable farm.
Your ancestor, Paul Vachon, died of smallpox in 1703 and was buried in Beauport. Most of his descendants are known under the name of Vachon, but a number of them took the name of Laminée, Pomerleau or des Fourchette. The main Vachon families are still on the coast of Beaupré and Beauce.